Terracotta group after the marble original by Filippo della Valle in the Wallace collection. The marble version was made by Della Valle in 1732 but somewhere in the 18th century a signature of Cayot was added to that group. It therefor was for long believed to be by the hand of Cayot. When a drawing and an engraving by Della Valle were found of the same group, the false attribution was corrected to that of Della Valle. From archive material it is known that Dellla Valle himself (or his workshop) also made a terracotta version. It is believed that this is the one now in the museum Granet in Aix-en-Provence. A few other terracotta versions are known, most of them made in the second half of the 19th century and with a Cayot signature. Our terracotta group is of very fine quality, with beautiful details in the hair, eyes, wings, rocks etc. It also has a nice (partly lost) patina. It can therfore be dated to the late 18th or early 19th century.
Share this article