Angelo Uggeri (1754-1837): eleven hand-coloured line-etchings from ‘Journées pittoresques des édifices de Rome ancienne'. Published in Rome from 1800 to 1814. The career of the Benedictine abbot Angelo Uggeri as an architect did not really get off the ground. But when he settled in Rome in 1788, he quickly became one of the most famous antique dealers and archaeologists of his time. Trained as an architect, he knew the ancient monuments in Rome very well, for years he was trying to draw them and he witnessed the excavations of the Roman Forum and the Coliseum. Uggeri also acted as guide for travelers on their Grand Tour in the Eternal City. From 1800 to 1814 he published several volumes with views of the old buildings of Rome and the surrounding area: ‘Journées pittoresques des édifices de Rome ancienne / Giornate pittoresche degli edifizi antiche de circondari di Roma’. The publication is bilingual in French and Italian. After printing them Uggeri coloured each etching with washed brown ink. This created for each album individually crafted etchings of wonderful quality. Size picture: approximately 25x18cm; size frames 40x33 cm.
Share this article